Happy Friday everyone!
I will be honest that I haven’t been doing much cooking lately because I’ve been busy with a new project I’m starting. You may have noticed a new page titled “Care Packages”
I’m planning on getting everything ready to debut on Monday! It’s an exciting side project inspired by my friends idea and I can’t wait to share more about it!
Since I haven’t been cooking much my Mom has been taking the lead. I posted about her crab cake recipe the other night and got several requests to share the recipe. It’s one of those crab cake recipes that is all crab and no extra fillers which is exactly how I like my crab cakes to be. I am always hesitant to order crab cakes at restaurants because so many of them are filled with bread and “fillers” and not enough crab meat. These could not be more opposite of that.
I don’t have any step by step photos since my Mom did the cooking but they are extremely simple to make. Basically you just mix the crab meat with the other ingredients, form the mixture into patties, and bake them! And that’s pretty much it!
At the bottom of the recipe I posted some ideas of what to serve with the crab cakes. These are so simple. This is by far one of my favorite summer meals!
Mom’s Crab Cakes
Yields 5 Crab Cakes
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 6 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp mayo
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Olive oil for brushing
- Lemon Wedges for serving.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix all ingredients together and taste for seasoning.
- Form into 5 patties.
- Brush each patty with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes in the middle rack of the oven.
- Turn the oven to the broil setting and broil for 5 minutes. (it’s especially important for the crab cakes to be on the middle rack for this.. keep a close eye and check after 2 minutes to make sure they aren’t burning)
- Serve warm or at room temp with some lemon wedges as a garnish.
- You can also pan fry the crab cakes in a mix of butter and olive oil. Cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes per side.
Some ideas to pair with the crab cakes:
- Corn and Black Bean Saute: in a skillet with olive oil saute 2 minced garlic cloves and one minced shallot. Add in 3 ears of corn off the cob, 1 cup of black beans, 1 red bell pepper, and saute for 5-6 minutes. Add in 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp red pepper flakes, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Make a dipping sauce for the crab cakes:
- Tarragon Lemon Mayo: Mix ½ cup mayo with the juice of 1 lemon, 2 tbsp fresh chopped tarragon, 1 minced clove of garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Chipotle Lemon Mayo: Mix ½ cup mayo with 1 tbsp of chipotle in adobo sauce (just the sauce, not the peppers), juice of ½ a lemon, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mango Avocado Salsa: Mix one mango with 2 tbsp minced red onion, 1/4 cup minced cucumber, 1 chopped avocado, juice of 1 lime, a generous drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast some sweet potatoes or baby new potatoes simply with olive oil, salt, pepper, and some fresh chopped thyme or rosemary.
- A simple mixed green salad dressed in olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
So yummy! I hope you give this recipe a try. This recipe was actually originally my Nanny’s recipe (my Grandma who I called Nanny) that my mom has adapted slightly. I think it’s pretty perfect!