Did you miss me?! I missed you! I’m sorry I have been MIA for so so long. Between the new move to Boston and starting a new full time job, there hasn’t been much time for recipe testing/posting.
So for the forseeable future I will still be popping in here and there to say hello and share delicious food with you! I’m hoping more often than not but I’m not going to make any promises I can’t keep…hah
I’m very excited to share this recipe with you though!
Moroccan Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Herby Tahini
This is the perfect summer meal. The chicken is marinated and packed with SO much flavor. I also made my charred scallion whipped feta to pair with it which I highly recommend adding or trying if you have not already.
Lets start with the marinade for the chicken. This marinade is a recipe I originally got from my mom for shrimp. It is just as delicious with shrimp if you would like to sub that for the chicken. The marinade is a mixture of shallot, cumin, tumeric, harissa, honey, garlic, lemon juice and zest, fish sauce, and olive oil.
You can let this marinade up to overnight, but 2-4 hours will also suffice. You can either grill the chicken or just cook it up in a cast iron pan like I did.
For the herby tahini I just combined tahini, dill, parsley, garlic, lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper in a food processor. You can really use any combination of fresh herbs you prefer. Cilantro would be fab too. I added a bit of water to thin it out to the consistency I like.
I also had some pickled red onions on hand that went very well with it. You could also just buy some regular pickles that would be delicious with this too. If you would like my pickled onion recipe, refer to my fish taco page!
I did bib lettuce, some sliced peppers and pickled red onions, tomatoes (cucumber would be great too), charred scallion whipped feta, herby tahini, and the chicken. I think a platter like this is so fun for entertaining so everyone can make their own and it is such a beautiful presentation. You can also assemble it ahead of time so the only step to do when you guests arrive is cook the chicken!
YUM. I hope you give this recipe a try! I also hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far. Summer is my favorite season by FAR. It makes me wonder why I don’t live in a place with warmer weather year round..
Moroccan Spiced Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Herby Tahini
For the chicken:
- 1.5-2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp harissa paste (or sub 1 tsp red pepper flakes and 1 tsp smoked paprika)
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp honey
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Salt and pepper
For the herby Tahini:
- ½ cup tahini paste
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro, dill, chives, etc)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper
For the garnishes:
- Bib lettuce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pickled red onions
- Sliced bell pepper
- Charred scallion whipped feta (or just regular crumbled feta)
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade (minus the sesame seeds). Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides then coat the chicken in the marinade. Marinade for 2-4 hours or overnight.
- Either grill the chicken or cook in a cast iron skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side depending on thickness. If grilling, grill for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor add all ingredients for herby tahini. Add some water to thin it out to the consistency you prefer. Season to taste.
- Arrange all the garnishes in a platter, slice the chicken, and serve immediately!
YUM. So flavorful, light, healthy, and delicious
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!