Ok so I know these taco’s sound a bit strange..but hear me out..
My last vacation before quarantine my Mom and I went to Florida and ate at this funky restaurant in Jupiter Beach called Little Moir’s Food Shack.
They had a lot of interesting dishes on their menu. The appetizer we ordered was the buffalo brussel sprouts with blue cheese. I thought it was a bit strange that they were an appetizer but they were SO good. Roasted brussel sprouts tossed in a sweet and spicy buffalo sauce, topped with blue cheese and honey. So delicious.
So that dish was the inspiration behind this taco
I started by sauteeing brussel sprouts over medium high heat in butter with some salt and pepper.
My mom bought the pre-shredded brussel sprouts so that is what I used. I think next time I would buy whole ones and only slice them in half so they have a big more texture.
When they get nice and charred I added in some honey and buffalo sauce. Sweet and spicy is a great combination.
To make the crema, in a small food processor went one avocado, blue cheese (you could substitute feta if you’re not a blue cheese fan), one garlic clove, greek yogurt (not pictured because I almost forgot it hah) the juice of a lemon, salt, and pepper
Blitz together and done. You can also just mash this all by hand and just finely chop the garlic or even omit it all together.
Taco assembly line! I chose to make these non-vegetarian and throw in some simply grilled chicken. I think they would be delicious without the chicken, or even with some shrimp or salmon. Toasted corn tortillas (or flour, whichever), the avocado blue cheese crema, cilantro, scallions, the buffalo brussel sprouts, and blue cheese.
A little messy, but SO good.
Buffalo Brussel Sprout Tacos with Blue Cheese Avocado Crema
Makes about 6 Tacos
For the Tacos:
- 1 cup cooked chicken (optional, see note below)
- 16oz Brussel Sprouts (about 5 heaping cups) either sliced thin, cut in half, or in quarters (see note below)
- 2 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- 2 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce (ex, Franks Red Hot)
- Salt and pepper
- 6 small corn, or flour tortillas, toasted
- Optional garnishes: scallions, blue cheese, cilantro, more buffalo sauce
For the Avocado Blue Cheese Crema:
- 1 avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 3oz blue cheese (or feta) about ¼ cup
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- To make the crema, blitz all ingredients in a food processor until combined. Or mash everything together by hand. Set aside
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add the butter and allow to melt slightly. Add in the brussel sprouts and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook stirring frequently, until the brussel sprouts get some nice color, about 5-6 minutes. Add in the honey and buffalo sauce, season to taste, and turn off the heat.
- Assemble the taco to your desire and enjoy!
- For the chicken, just simply grilled chicken or even rotisserie chicken are delicious choices. I also think that shrimp or salmon would be good choices.
- If you are omitting protein, I would recommend to cut the brussel sprouts in half or quarters to give the taco more texture. If you ARE using a protein, I think cutting the brussel sprouts into thin slices is the better option.
- To toast the tortillas, turn a gas flame to low and place the tortilla directly on the stove, toasting for about 30 seconds each side. Wrap in foil to stay warm. Alternatively, you can toast in a dry cast iron pan over high heat for about a minute per side.
Adding more hot sauce was definitely the move. I love anything involving buffalo sauce and these tacos are definitely a healthier way to satisfy a buffalo wing craving!
I hope you give these a try!
Next up is going to be the dessert of my DREAMS. I’m so excited to share the recipe, it’s a good one.