I promise I won’t title every recipe on here “the best” but these brownies really do warrant that title. Along with this banana bread
Once you make these brownies and that banana bread, I assure you you’ll never want to make another brownie or banana bread recipe again.
These brownies are
- FUGDY. Super, super dense and melt in your mouth. In my opinion, if I’m going to eat a brownie it better be super dense and super chocolatey.
- VERY simple ingredient list. No frills, just lots of chocolate 🙂
- THEY WILL MAKE YOUR HOUSE SMELL LIKE A DREAM. To be honest, this is one of the main reasons why I bake brownies. The smell is intoxicating.
To get your brownies to have that crackle topping, the key is to whip the eggs and sugar for about 10 minutes. This is very easy to do in a stand mixer, and a little more challenging by hand. But if nothing else, it’s a good arm workout. The eggs and sugar should be super light and fluffy and almost white in color.
Just a quick note, all of these step by step photos are from me making a triple batch of these brownies. More on why in a later post..so if the quantity looks large don’t be alarmed 🙂
Next step is to melt the chocolate and butter together. I find that making a double boiler (just a fancy term for placing a pot of water on the stove on simmer and then placing a bowl on top of the pot so the water steams the bottom of the bowl and slowly melts the chocolate). You can also do this step in a microwave, melting and stirring the chocolate and butter in 30 second increments.
This is the chocolate I typically buy because it is found in most grocery stores in the baking aisle. Chocolate bars usually melt a little more nicely than chocolate chips.
Bury me in a melted bowl of butter and chocolate please!!
Once the chocolate and butter have almost fully melted together remove the bowl from the heat and stir until the mixture is smooth. Next, combine the chocolate mixture with the eggs and sugar mixture, vanilla extract, flour, salt, and chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a pan lined with parchment, and bake for 22 minutes.
Look at that crackle!! I hope you give these brownies a try!
The Best Brownies
Makes one 8 by 8 inch pan
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 5 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup mini (or regular) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixer, or by hand, beat the eggs and sugar together for about 10 minutes until light, fluffy, and opaque in color.
- Meanwhile, in a double boiler or microwave, melt the bittersweet and semi sweet chocolate together with the butter. Once the mixture is fully melted and incorporated allow to cool slightly.
- Combine the chocolate mixture and egg and sugar mixture together, along with the flour, vanilla extract, salt, and chocolate chips.
- Line a 8 by 8 inch pan with parchment paper. (This will make it easier to cut and serve the brownies). Bake for exactly 22 minutes. Allow to cool.
These brownies are everything you could want in a brownie and then some. No dry, cake like, brownies will be made on this blog! They almost have the consistency of a flourless chocolate cake, which is exactly how I like my brownies to be.
I just need to figure out how to bottle up the “freshly baked brownie” smell and sell it as a perfume 🙂