I am excited to share this recipe with you all today because it is a recipe I first started making in college. My first food blog I actually started in college my sophomore year. It was called, “Chelcie’s Food Files.” My roommates encouraged me to start it because I was always cooking dinner for them and coming up with easy, college budget friendly recipes for us. I wish I didn’t let that blog go because it would be fun to look back on now…
I made this so many times throughout college, so making it again last night brought back memories. I love taste memories. Does that make sense? Like when you eat something and it immediately brings you back to a time in your life? This pasta does that for me.
Butternut Squash Pasta
This pasta has a bit of a secret ingredient..hummus!! I know what you’re thinking “Chelcie, that’s weird and disgusting” And to be honest, I don’t disagree with that thought. However, I promise it makes sense in this pasta. It adds a creaminess to the dish without adding a lot of extra calories. You really don’t taste the hummus flavor, I promise!
This recipe is so simple and comes together in no time. Start by roasted 1 small butternut squash and 1 onion with olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes at 425 for about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
I didn’t take too many step by step photos because I was busy filming a tiktok video. If you’re on tiktok, go follow me! Here’s the link!
But once the vegetables are roasted and pasta is cooked you basically just add everything to a bowl and toss to combine. The baby spinach, pasta, hummus, juice of half a lemon, goat cheese, roasted squash, and about 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water to combine everything together. I hope you give this recipe a try! Its so quick, easy, somewhat healthy, and delicious!
Butternut Squash Pasta
- ½ pound pasta (penne, fusilli, rigatoni, medium shells, etc)
- 1 small butternut squash, chopped (should yield apx 3 cups)
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 oz baby spinach or arugula (about 3 cups)
- 4 oz goat cheese
- ¼ cup plain hummus
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- On a baking sheet, toss cut up butternut squash and onion with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes. Roast at 425 for apx 30 minutes, tossing halfway through. Make sure the squash is nice and soft and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta according to package instructions. Before you drain the pasta, reserve about ¾ cup of the pasta water.
- In a large bowl place the baby spinach on the bottom, once pasta is strained, add it directly to the bowl with the spinach. Followed by the cooked squash and onion, goat cheese, hummus, lemon juice, and start with about ½ cup of the reserved pasta water. Toss to combine, season to taste. If it seems too thick add a bit more pasta water.
- Serve immediately, top with a bit of extra cheese if desired 🙂
So good. Brings me back to my college days…ahhh memories 🙂
XOXO Chef Chelc
2 thoughts on “Butternut Squash Pasta”
This really looks good. I love making pasta with butternut squash- including mixing it mashed in mac and cheese which my son thinks is just wrong!
haha yea he has yet to eat any of it…his loss. more for me!